Check out our galleries
Learn more about our degree programs and admission requirements
Find the information you need to conduct your research and academic studies
See KCUMB's beautiful campus
Faculty and student research | Learn more
Give by June 30 and include personal note to incoming students
While you may know Kansas City for its friendly midwestern hospitality, the city also has a cultural, cosmopolitan vibe. With professional sports teams, a thriving performing and visual arts scene, nationally acclaimed museums, first-rate hotels, Vegas-style gaming, great restaurants and abundant shopping and nightlife districts, Kansas City is brimming with activities to keep you entertained.In 2012, Forbes picked downtown Kansas City, Mo., as one of America's best downtowns, making Kansas City a great destination for year-round visitors. The striking landscape includes wide boulevards, beautiful parks, fantastic architecture and more than 200 fountains.
Discover Kansas City: Find nearby attractions, hotels, shopping, restaurants and more!
10. Cheer at a Sporting Kansas City soccer game Check out KC's winningest sports team at the impressive Sporting Park: Sporting Kansas City. Hometown fans will argue basketball, baseball and football, but almost everyone agrees on our soccer team (and it doesn't hurt that Sporting Kansas City is among the best teams in the MLS Eastern Conference).
9. Enjoy KC Barbecue Need we say more? How about the mouth-watering choices only available in KC: Arthur Bryant's, Jack Stack and Gates Bar-B-Q. You can't go wrong ... Choose one or try them all! And, although it seems blasphemous to include on No. 9, KC also has plenty of vegetarian and vegan offerings.
8. Look to the SkyThey say there's a lot of sky in the midwest, but in Kansas City, it's our architectural skyline that will take your breath away. Whether it's the stunning new Kauffman Performing Arts Center (reminiscent of the Sydney Opera House), the giant reflective dome-shaped Sprint Center or bustling Union Station, you'll have plenty to enjoy beyond our spectacular sunsets.
7. Retail Therapy Shopaholics can get their fix at the beautiful Country Club Plaza, the sprawling Legends Outlets or quaint local Kansas City shopping districts, such as Brookside or Briarcliff Village.
6. First Fridays Every first Friday of the month, the Crossroads Arts District galleries and shops open their doors after hours and host special viewing events.
5. WestportAt the heart of the city, Westport is a diverse offering of local cafes, restaurants and shops during the day, and becomes one of KC's hottest nightlife spots after dark. After exhausting what Westport has to offer, head over the Power & Light District to continue the party.
4. Go Beyond the City LimitsTraffic, what traffic? Compared with other large cities, Kansas City traffic is a breeze, getting you almost anywhere in 30 minutes or less. So use the extra time to check out what the suburbs have to offer: shopping abounds at Oak Park Mall and Town Center Plaza, the Overland Park Arboretum and Botanical Gardens and more. Or explore the historic small towns near KC: shopping for antiques or hiking at the nature sanctuary in Parkville, Mo., or singing along with your favorite Irish band at O'Malley's, the underground pub in Weston, Mo.
3. City MarketThe City Market bustles during the weekends of the harvest months with fresh fare from local farmers and wares from small businesses. During the winter, City Market is still the go-to place for great restaurants, including Kansas City's own Bo Lings (Asian), Blue Nile (Ethiopian), Hien Vuong (Vietnamese) and the Habashi House (Middle Eastern).
2. Take in a ShowKansas City puts the "show" in the Show Me State — get tickets to Quixotic, a Kansas City aerialist dance company, or make a night of it at one of our many theaters: Starlight, the Kansas City Repertory Theatre, the Kauffman Performing Arts Center, the historic 18th and Vine Jazz District and so much more!
1. Everything ElseWhether you are imbibing some spirits during the tour at Boulevard Brewing Company, exploring the award-winning Kansas City Zoo, enjoying Crown Center with the new SeaLife Aquarium and Legoland Discovery Center, or the nationally renowned Nelson Atkins Art Museum, why limit yourself to the top 10? Want to add something to this list? Post your favorite #KCTop10 to KCUMB's Twitter page.
1750 Independence AvenueKansas City, Mo. 64106-14531-800-234-4847 | 816-654-7000
If you are experiencing an issue with our website, such as a broken link or incorrect information, please submit the full URL of the page below along with a description of the issue. We also welcome all general feedback about the KCUMB website.
Would you like a member of the web team to follow up with you?