Monthly newsletter: Read the latest issue
Learn more about our degree programs and admission requirements
Find the information you need to conduct your research and academic studies
See KCU's beautiful campus
See faculty research interests
KCU students will be calling alumni April 26-29
There are many reasons to call Kansas City "Home."
Kansas City is a Midwestern gem that we're proud to call home. Known for its cultural arts offerings, low cost-of-living, and, of course, great barbecue, Kansas City and its surrounding suburbs are often ranked high as some of the best places to live in the nation.
Let us show you some of the reasons why you'll love Kansas City.
The coolest city around: We can't argue with this 2014 article ranking Kansas City as the coolest city in the U.S.
Do you have to see it to believe it? You'll fit right in here in the Show Me State. We suggest you start here: Find nearby attractions, hotels, shopping, restaurants and more!
10. Cheer on our Hometown HeroesCelebrate the Kansas City Royals' outstanding 2014 season, put on your red and get caught up in the excitement of a Kansas City Chiefs football game, or head to see our hometown soccer champions, Sporting Kansas City, winners of the 2013 MLS Cup. There's something for every sports fan. Just don't forget to get there early - Kansas City is serious about our tailgating.
9. Enjoy KC Barbecue Only in Kansas City can you find USA Today's "Best Ribs in the United States" at our own Oklahoma Joe's. But Joe's has plenty of worthy competition right here in town, including Arthur Bryant's, Jack Stack and Gates Bar-B-Q. Which one's best? It's hard to say ... you better just try them all and decide for yourself. And, although it seems blasphemous to include on No. 9, KC also has plenty of vegetarian and vegan offerings.
8. Look to the SkyThey say there's a lot of sky in the midwest, but in Kansas City, it's our architectural skyline that will take your breath away. Whether it's the stunning new Kauffman Performing Arts Center (reminiscent of the Sydney Opera House), the giant reflective dome-shaped Sprint Center or bustling Union Station, you'll have plenty else to look at while enjoying our spectacular sunsets.
7. Retail Therapy Shopaholics can get their fix at the beautiful Country Club Plaza, the sprawling Legends Outlets or quaint local Kansas City shopping districts, such as Brookside or Briarcliff Village.
6. First Fridays Every first Friday of the month, the Crossroads Arts District galleries and shops open their doors after hours and host special viewing events. The party spills into the streets where you may find a circus act, street music performances, food trucks, dancers and more. You never know who will turn up for this lively event.
5. WestportAt the heart of the city, Westport is a diverse offering of local cafes, restaurants and shops during the day, and becomes one of KC's hottest nightlife spots after dark. After exhausting what Westport has to offer, head over the Power & Light District to continue the party.
4. Go Beyond the City LimitsTraffic? What traffic? Compared with other large cities, Kansas City traffic is a breeze, getting you almost anywhere in 30 minutes or less. So use the extra time to check out what the suburbs have to offer. Visit KC's resident t-rex at the stunning Museum at Prairiefire. Shopping abounds at Oak Park Mall and Town Center Plaza. Become one with nature at the Overland Park Arboretum and Botanical Gardens or idyllic Powell Gardens. Explore the historic small towns near KC: hike and shop for antiques in Parkville, Mo., or sing along with your favorite Irish band at O'Malley's, the underground pub in Weston, Mo.
3. City MarketThe City Market bustles during the weekends of the harvest months with fresh fare from local farmers and wares from small businesses. During the winter, City Market is still the go-to place for great restaurants, including Kansas City's own Bo Lings (Asian), Blue Nile (Ethiopian), Hien Vuong (Vietnamese) and the Habashi House (Middle Eastern).
2. Take in a ShowKansas City puts the "show" in the Show Me State. Make a night of it at one of our many theaters: Starlight, the Kansas City Repertory Theatre, take in the Kansas City Symphony or the KC Ballet at the Kauffman Performing Arts Center, or head to the historic 18th and Vine Jazz District. Did none of those catch your interest? Don't worry, there's so much more!
1. Everything ElseWhether you are imbibing some spirits during the tour at Boulevard Brewing Company, exploring the award-winning Kansas City Zoo, enjoying Crown Center with the new SeaLife Aquarium and Legoland Discovery Center, or the nationally renowned Nelson Atkins Art Museum, why limit yourself to the top 10? Want to add something to this list? Post your favorite #KCTop10 to KCU's Twitter page.
1750 Independence AvenueKansas City, Mo. 64106-14531-800-234-4847 | 816-654-7000