Military Scholarships

  • How to Report and Request Benefits:
    Military Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP)

    The KCU Director of Financial Aid is the military HPSP liaison, maintains current HPSP information and submits invoices to each of the military branches for tuition and fees. The KCU Registrar’s office handles military reimbursement forms.

    Air Force

    • Questions? Call 405-727-6205
    • Air Force students do not turn anything in to the Registrar’s Office, and their forms do not require the Registrar’s signature.
    • Air Force students must directly mail their completed forms along with receipts to the following address:  

    Bldg. 16, Rm 120
    2275 D Street
    Wright Patterson AFB, OH 45433-7221 




    Military Scholarships and Veteran's Information

    To be eligible for the military scholarship, you must be a U.S. citizen. Recipients are provided full tuition, fees, books, equipment and a monthly stipend. For each year of scholarship support, the student must serve one year in the designated service branch. The minimum obligation is two years. KCU traditionally has a high number of students receiving military scholarships.

    Military Scholarships

    For military programs, students should contact their recruiter or the recruiters on the list that follows:

    U.S. Army
    U.S. Army Health Care Recruiter
    7500 College Blvd., Ste. 720
    Overland Park, KS 66210

    U.S. Navy
    U.S. Navy Medical Officer Programs Recruiter
    Navy Operations Support Center
    3100 Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd.
    Kansas City,MO 64130

    U.S. Air Force
    Air Force Recruiting Office
    4600 SE 29th St., Ste. 356
    Del City, OK 73115

    Veteran's Educational Benefits


    Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences is approved by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) for the certification of students eligible to receive VA educational benefits. KCU also participates in the Yellow Ribbon program. To determine eligibility, students are required to contact the DVA. The School Certifying Official is Sharon Herman, Director of Financial Aid, who will assist students receiving VA education benefits by certifying your enrollment status to the VA.

    Getting Started

    Follow the steps below to begin the process of determining your eligibility for receiving VA educational benefits and to have your enrollment certified with the VA.

    1. Apply for DVA Education Benefits (DVA Form 22-1990) or Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (DVA Form 22-1995) if you have previously used your benefits at different institutions. DVA forms may be found on the DVA's website.

    2. Once you are notified by the DVA of your eligibility to receive educational benefits, submit the following documents to the School Certifying Official:

    • DD-214 Discharge Document (provided by your military branch at completion of enlistment) or Notice of Basic Eligibility Form 2384 (provided by your unit)
    • Certificate of Eligibility (provided by the DVA after the processing of your benefits application)

    Veteran's Information
    Matters pertaining to the Veteran's Administration should be directed to the Director of Financial Aid.

    Service and Loan Repayment Opportunities

    National Health Service Corps (NHSC)
    Health Resources and Services Administration
    Bureau of Primary Health Care
    Division of Scholarships and Loan Repayments

    National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program 

    Amounts: Up to $60,000 in loan repayment for a two-year commitment (full-time) at sites with an HPSA score of 14 or more; up to $40,000 for two-year commitment (full-time) at sites with an HPSA score up to 13. Scores for NHSC sites are determined in the following way: the higher the score, the greater the need.

    This program is an opportunity, assuming federal funding continues to be provided, for primary care physicians to obtain loan repayment, working at NHSC approved sites. The physician would have completed a primary care residency, and either (1) be working at an NHSC-approved service site or (2) have accepted an offer of employment at an NHSC-approved service site and will begin employment at the site by the specified date (this year: July 15, 2013). An application must be completed, provide required documents, and be approved.

    Other requirements for applicant:

    • Be a U.S. citizen or U.S. national
    • Be working full-time (or part-time for a reduced amount of payback) in an HPSA approved site, in one of the following disciplines: family medicine, obstetrics/gynecology, general internal medicine, geriatrics, general pediatrics, or general psychiatry
    • Have educational loans with a current balance.

    There are opportunities for additional loan repayment, but this must be approved on a yearly basis. Additional information is available on the NHSC Loan Repayment website.

    Indian Health Service Loan Repayment

    Amounts: Up to $20,000 per year in loan repayment for a two-year commitment (full-time), for a total of $40,000. Like the National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment, an applicant's chances of receiving a contract is based on the score of the site. Scores for IHS sites are determined in the following way: the higher the score, the greater the need.

    Deadline: Applications are accepted beginning Feb. 15 and will remain open until funds are exhausted. This program is a future opportunity for current students, assuming federal funding is still being provided.

    Requirements for applicant:

    • Be a U.S. citizen
    • Have a health profession degree or be in postgraduate training
    • Have a valid state license to practice in a health profession. Health profession students in their final year of postgraduate clinical training are eligible to apply before obtaining a license. However, you are not eligible for an award until you provide proof of licensure to the branch office.
    • Be committed to practice at an Indian health facility.
    • Be prepared to begin service on or before Sept. 30, 2013, for two continuous years of full-time clinical practice.
    • Not currently receive funding or be fulfilling a service commitment with other federal loan repayment scholarship programs.

    You do not need to show proof of American Indian ancestry to apply. However, American Indians and Alaska Natives receive priority consideration when all factors are equal between applicants (such as site score and staffing needs). Visit website for more information.

    AAMC First Loan Repayment/Forgiveness Scholarship Programs

    Click here to visit this searchable database that provides detailed information about many of the state and federal programs available to medical students, as well as students in other health profession programs.


    Frequently Asked Questions

    Where do I send my completed claim form?
    Deliver, mail, or fax your claim to:
    Office of the Registrar
    1750 Independence Ave
    Kansas City MO 6106
    Phone 816-654-7194
    Fax 816-654-7191 

    I am an incoming student and have been accepted for a HPSP; do I pay the acceptance and matriculation fees or does the HPSP?
    The student pays the initial fees to KCU.  Once the military has paid the full tuition and fees, the overpayment will be refunded to the student. 

    What documentation can I provide for proof of insurance payment?
    You can provide any of the following as proof of payment: 

    • Copy of credit card statement 
    • Copy of bank statement (for auto-pay) 
    • Copy of cancelled check 
    • Letter from your insurance company stating the payment amount received for the time indicated on your reimbursement 

    If you are claiming insurance for the first time, you will need to provide a copy of a letter or premium statement from your insurance company to document your portion of the health insurance cost and the effective date.  You cannot be reimbursed for dental or vision insurance. 

    NOTE:  You cannot be reimbursed for insurance premiums that have not been paid, check to make sure that all months claimed are accounted for in receipts. 

    Can I include sales tax on my claim?
    Yes, the Army form has a “Total Taxes for Item 13” line where you enter the total amount of sales tax. If you are submitting the Navy form, you will need to write in “Taxes” on one of the claim lines and enter the total amount of sales tax.  

     Where can I find a claim form? 

    • Navy – Print off the Deans Certificate and Standard Form 1164. 
    • Army – Print off the Medcom Form 678-R.  

    Why do I need to tape, not staple, my small receipts to a blank sheet of paper?
    This is to make the processing of your claims easier and quicker for the Registrar’s Office and the military.  When mailing your claims to the military, having your small receipts taped to a sheet of paper ensures that they will not come off the paper and get separated from your claim form.

    Where do I get a required book list?
    You can find a list of required textbooks here.