Physician's Hall of Sponsors
David L. Acus, DO, was a flight surgeon in Vietnam before returning to Michigan to serve as a family practice physician until 1981. He has held the positions of chief of staff for the Hillsdale Community Health Center, director of the Hillsdale Hospital Emergency Department, medical examiner for Hillsdale County, Mich., and emergency medical physician at Herrick Memorial Hospital in Tecumseh, Mich. Dr. Acus dedicated this scholarship to his parents, Winfield and Sadie Acus, who in his words, “instilled in me the values of education, honesty and hard work."
Mary Colleen Alderman
J. Lewis Alderman, PhD, retired KCU professor of physiology, and his wife, Joyce, established this scholarship in memory of their daughter, Mary Colleen Alderman, who died in 1990 at the age of 9. Her death renewed the commitment of Dr. Alderman to ensure that future physicians gain the knowledge necessary to lessen the risks to their young patients.
Charles Alhante, DO (COM ’30), and Frances Alhante
Charles Alhante, DO, was a past president and life member of the KCU Alumni Association. He practiced in Kansas City and was active in the Jackson County Osteopathic Association. Dr. Alhante supported the Basic Sciences Building Fund, which bought the complex where the University is now located. Frances Alhante held high regard for the University and established this scholarship out of her appreciation for osteopathic medicine.
Donald C. Atkins, DO (COM ’65)
Darwin J. Strickland, DO, and Suzanne Strickland established this scholarship in memory of Donald C. Atkins, DO, who passed away in 1994. Dr. Atkins completed his internship and residency in pathology at Flint Osteopathic Hospital in Flint, Mich. In 1972, Dr. Atkins chaired a feasibility study in Ohio that resulted in the founding of the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine. He was a life member of the KCU Alumni Association, and a member of both the Ohio Osteopathic State Association and the American Osteopathic Association. Dr. Atkins and his family were close friends of the Stricklands during their time in Kansas City. “Don Atkins was a man with a vision as an osteopathic pioneer for the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine,” Dr. Strickland said.
The Charles T. Bartow Memorial Scholarship was established by Richard K. Hoffine in memory of his father-in-law, Charles T. Bartow. Mr. Bartow was a member of the KCU Board of Trustees from Nov. 18, 1968, until his death on Aug. 26, 1995.
Mary Lou Butterworth, DO (COM ’54)
Mary Lou Butterworth, DO, served the University in numerous capacities, including president of the KCU Foundation and executive director of the KCU Alumni Association. Dr. Butterworth was honored as Alumnus of the Year in 1973, received the Alumni Service Award in 1993 and received the Distinguished Service Award in 1995 from the American Osteopathic College of Anesthesiology. She was dean of alumni affairs emeritus at the time of her death on Nov. 1, 2007, leaving a 54-year legacy of leadership and service to the University. The Butterworth Alumni Center on the KCU campus is named in honor of Mary L. Butterworth, DO.
The Benton L. Chandler Memorial Scholarship was established by an anonymous donor in memory of Benton L. Chandler, a member of the Class of 2003. Originally from Fayette, Mo., Chandler was entering his fourth year of medical school at KCU when an automobile accident took his life on July 13, 2002. He was an active member of the Fayette community, a football and baseball player, a class officer, student council representative, Boy’s State attendee and delegate to the Missouri Scholars’ Academy. He attended Truman State University prior to entering medical school and scored in the top 2 percent nationally on his senior exams. He was in clinical training at Fitzgibbon Hospital in Marshall, Mo., at the time of his death.
Class of 1959
H.J. Scarinzi, DO (COM ’59), established this scholarship in honor of his classmates in the Class of 1959. Dr. Scarinzi retired from general practice in eastern Colorado in 1996. He has taught anatomy, physiology and medical terminology at Morgan Community College in Limon, Colo. He was named KCU’s Alumnus of the Year in 2008.
Class of 1965
Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and Suzanne Strickland dedicated this Physicians’ Hall of Sponsors scholarship to the KCU Class of 1965. In 2001, the Class of 1965 achieved the highest class donor participation rate ever attained at that time – 82.76 percent, more than doubling their 40 percent class participation rate of only three years earlier. The Class of 1965 has received the Conley Award each year since the award’s inception in 1998. Named after Dr. George Conley, the first president of the Kansas City College of Osteopathy and Surgery, the Conley Award is presented each year during Homecoming and recognizes the class that has the highest percentage of participation in a given fiscal year.
Class of 1965 (Second Dedication)
Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and Suzanne Strickland dedicated a second Physicians’ Hall of Sponsors scholarship to the KCU Class of 1965. Through tremendous continued support of KCU, the Class of 1965 achieved a 92.8 percent donor participation rate in 2003 – the highest rate ever achieved by an alumni class. Dr. Strickland currently serves on the KCU Board of Trustees, is past president of the Alumni Association and was the 2003 recipient of the Alumnus of the Year Award. The Strickland Education Pavilion on the KCU campus is named in honor of Dr. and Mrs. Strickland.
Wilbur V. Cole, DO
Dr. and Mrs. Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), established this scholarship in honor of Wilbur V. Cole, DO, a renowned researcher. A graduate of the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, Dr. Cole was board certified in neurology and osteopathic manipulative medicine, and much of his research focused on the histology of somatic dysfunction. Dr. Cole served as a professor at KCU for 28 years, including 18 years as the University’s director of research and eight years as dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine before retiring in 1979.
George J. Conley, DO
The George J. Conley, DO and Conley Maternity Hospital Scholarship is established by Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65) and Suzanne Strickland. This scholarship is in honor of George J. Conley, DO, and the hospital named for him, the Conley Maternity Hospital. Dr. Conley was the first president of this University, serving from May 1916 until September 1950. He funded the building of Conley Hospital on the campus of the Kansas City College of Osteopathy and Surgery, and in May 1944 the hospital was converted into a maternity hospital. Dr. Strickland recalls that the children of many students in the Class of 1965 were delivered at Conley Maternity Hospital. That hospital also served as a training site where they completed their OB/GYN rotations. Dr. Conley died March 1, 1950, after serving the osteopathic profession and this great University for nearly 35 years. He was considered by many as a giant in stature in the osteopathic profession.
Distinguished Service Award by the Class of 1965.
Robert R. Cornwell, DO
Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and Suzanne Strickland established this scholarship in honor of Robert R. Cornwell, DO Dr. Cornwell served KCU in various capacities between 1961 and 1974, including assistant professor of general medicine, associate professor of internal medicine, associate dean and dean of academic affairs. “He was always available at any time for any student that wanted help or motivation. He was truly dedicated to the college and the student body,” Dr. Strickland said. “Dr. Cornwell delivered our first child, Laura Jane, at Conley Maternity Hospital on Dec. 11, 1963.”
Samuel A. Crow, II, DO (COM ’85), and Cheryl V. Crow
Samuel A. Crow, II, DO (COM ’85), and Cheryl V. Crow established this scholarship to benefit future osteopathic medical students at KCU. After two tours of duty and eight years of active service in the U.S. Air Force, Dr. Crow earned a doctor of osteopathic medicine at KCU, while on a U.S. Army scholarship. After serving as brigade surgeon for the 75th field artillery brigade during Operation Desert Storm, he left active service to join Mercy Springfield’s Family Medicine of the Ozarks program in 1992. Dr. Crow practiced family medicine from 1992-2005, including six years as chair of the Department of Family Medicine, in Springfield, Mo., before serving as medical attaché to the U.S. ambassador in Ethiopia for three years. He is currently medical director for the Mercy Center for Innovative Care and has served as a champion for patient-centered medical home programs in Springfield and Ozark, Mo.
Dr. and Mrs. Donald D. Cucchi
Donald D. Cucchi, DO, and his wife, Gail, established this scholarship in honor of the osteopathic profession and with the hope that it will continue to benefit future generations of osteopathic physicians. Dr. Cucchi received his osteopathic medical degree from Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine in 1966. Since 1971, he practiced in the state of Michigan, serving in various leadership positions in the Emergency Department at Bi-County Community Hospital in Warren, Mich. The Cucchi’s daughter, Christina, received her doctor of osteopathic medicine degree from KCU in 1998.
Dallas Southwest Osteopathic Physicians, Inc., established a scholarship in support of a KCU student from Texas who demonstrates financial need and plans to return to the state to practice. Established in 1983, the organization’s mission is to improve the health, education and welfare of Southwest Dallas County, with additional emphasis on promoting osteopathic medical education.
Cleo V. D’Angelo
Vincent F. D’Angelo, DO (COM ’57), established this scholarship in memory of his wife, Cleo V. D’Angelo, out of respect for her dedication and commitment to his profession and her untiring efforts, support and inspiration. Cleo passed away in 2002. She loved nature and enjoyed fishing, flower gardening and plants. She was also an avid reader and pianist, and loved animals. Dr. D’Angelo passed away in 2005.
Dominico, Franchesca and Anthony J. D’Angelo
Vincent F. D’Angelo, DO (COM ’57), honored his parents, Dominico and Franchesca D’Angelo, and his brother, Anthony J. D’Angelo, with the establishment of this scholarship. Italian immigrants in the early 1900s, Dominico and Franchesca insisted their children receive a good education and worked tirelessly to afford them the opportunity. Dominico was a shoe cobbler whose proudest accomplishment was getting through the sixth grade in New York. Frances was a dressmaker who, despite having cancer, continued to work at home making dresses for additional income to allow her sons to go to college. Anthony served in the Navy and became a purchasing agent for C-B Engineering. Anthony carried Dr. D’Angelo’s business card with him always and proudly showed it to everyone until his passing in 1986. Dr. D’Angelo passed away in 2005.
Lee E. Davidson, DO (COM ’45)
Lee E. Davidson, DO, was a well-respected and beloved physician in the Kansas City area from 1945 until his death in 1998. Professor emeritus of obstetrics and gynecology, and former chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at KCU, he delivered thousands of babies and taught thousands of physicians until his retirement in 1988. Dr. Davidson taught at KCU from 1946-1988. He was president of the Missouri State Board of Registration for the Healing Arts and served as a consultant for the National Board of Osteopathic Examiners in Obstetrics and Gynecology and the Health Care Foundation of Missouri. Dr. Davidson volunteered at the City Union Mission, performed free medical exams for youth attending summer camp through the Salvation Army and supported countless other causes with his time, money and professional abilities. This scholarship will ensure that Dr. Davidson’s dedication continues to touch the lives of patients, friends and future osteopathic physicians.
Kenneth J. Davis, DO (COM ’33)
Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and Suzanne Strickland dedicated this scholarship to Kenneth J. Davis, DO Dr. Davis was a part-time instructor in chemistry and dietetics at KCU while building a general practice in Kansas City, Kan. In 1945, he accepted the full-time position of medical director at the University’s main teaching hospital. Five years later, he was named dean and twice served as college president. In 1966, Dr. Davis was named Alumnus of the Year by the KCU Alumni Association. He was the National Osteopathic Foundation’s 1986 Educator of the Year and was featured on the 1986 Osteopathic Seals, an honor bestowed upon him in recognition of 20 years of service as dean. Dr. Davis served as president of the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine and as chairman of the council of deans. Dr. Davis retired in 1970. He passed away Aug. 5, 1988.
Marilyn J. De Geus, MLS
Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and Suzanne Strickland established this scholarship in honor of Marilyn De Geus, director of the D’Angelo Library at KCU. De Geus, who has worked in the library for more than 45 years, has dedicated much of her career to helping KCU students reach their goals. She and Dr. Strickland met in 2009 during KCU’s annual Homecoming and shared stories about their common roots in Iowa.
James A. DiRenna, Sr., DO (COM ’38)
James A. DiRenna, Sr., DO, was a lifelong friend of KCU. After graduating in 1938, he moved back to his hometown of Pittsburgh and practiced there for six years before returning to Kansas City, where he established a private practice in general surgery in 1949 and continued practicing until 1979. During this time, Dr. DiRenna became chief of the Department of Surgery at KCU. He served KCU in many capacities, including as professor of surgery, chairman of the General Surgery Division and chief of staff. In 1978, he founded Park Lane Medical Center in Kansas City and served as president emeritus of the Park Lane Foundation until his death in 1996. Dr. DiRenna was recognized as Physician of the Year in 1967 by the Missouri Osteopathic Association and as Alumnus of the Year in 1967 by the University.
A.W. Doepke, Jr.
Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and his wife, Suzanne, dedicated this scholarship in honor of A.W. Doepke, Jr., who retired from the KCU Board of Trustees in 2007, following more than 36 years of service. The Stricklands established this scholarship in appreciation of the dedication and leadership that Mr. Doepke had given in advancing the University. “He truly brought us through some very rough times, and we’re so thankful for his personal commitment to KCU,” Dr. Strickland said.
Floyd E. Dunn, DO
Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and Suzanne Strickland established this scholarship dedicated to Floyd E. Dunn, DO, F.A.C.N. Dr. Dunn graduated from the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine and taught at the Kirksville College of Osteopathy prior to coming to Kansas City. Throughout his 20 years as the chairman of the Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, Dr. Dunn’s dedication to his field led to numerous accomplishments in the incorporation of neurology and psychiatry into the osteopathic profession. Dr. Dunn received the first ever grant from the National Institute of Mental Health for undergraduate studies in neurology and psychiatry. Dr. Dunn passed away in 2011.
Terrence P. Dunn
Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and Suzanne Strickland established this scholarship in honor of Terrence P. Dunn, who has distinguished himself in business, as well as in his personal life. Dunn, president and chief executive officer of J.E. Dunn Construction Group, embodies the University’s mission of “improving the well-being of the communities we serve.” He served on the Board of Trustees for the Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences for two terms and as chair from 2011 to 2013. He was honored by KCU with the University’s highest honorary degree, the doctor of humane letters, in 2014.
A pillar of the community, Dunn’s leadership has had a profound impact on KCU. He has also greatly improved the quality of life in Missouri and Kansas by through his service as a board member for a large list of business and non-profit organizations. He and his wife, Peggy, have four children and 10 grandchildren.
Paul W. Dybedal, DO (COM ’54), and Mary L. Dybedal
Paul W. Dybedal, DO (COM ’54), and his wife, Mary Lou, established this scholarship to support future osteopathic medical students. Following graduation, Dr. Dybedal completed a fellowship in psychiatry through the National Institutes of Health and the State of California. Dr. Dybedal practiced inpatient and forensic psychiatry at Napa State Hospital and served as a medical officer in the Army Reserves, where he achieved the rank of colonel before retiring in 1987. In 2004, Dr. and Mrs. Dybedal made the largest single contribution to KCU in the University’s history, and KCU’s Dybedal Center for Research is named in their honor.
Allan R. Escher, Jr., DO (COM ’97), received an undergraduate degree from the University of North Texas before matriculating at KCU with the Class of 1997. Dr. Escher’s father, Allan R. Escher, Sr., died of complications from diabetes during Dr. Escher’s second year of medical school. Dr. Escher, Jr., is a partner in Tranquility Anesthesia and is an attending anesthesiologist at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Fla. He is fulfilling his personal dream by bringing together two of his greatest interests – a desire to help people and a fascination with science. Dr. Escher, Jr., received KCU’s Young Alumni Achievement Award in 2008. He lives in Land O’ Lakes, Fla., with his wife, Stephanie, two daughters, Emily and Laura, and son, Allan R. Escher, III.
John A. Floersh, DO, was working in a research position at Vanderbilt University when he was accepted to KCU in 1981. Following completion of his rural internship, he established the Rutherford Clinic in Rutherford, Tenn., developing the clinic into a thriving practice. Dr. Floersh was a past president of the Tennessee Osteopathic Medical Association’s Board of Trustees. He passed away on May 21, 2004.
The Frayser Family
Robert L. Frayser, DO (COM ’87), established this scholarship to honor his family. Dr. Frayser’s daughter, Karen Evans, DO (COM ’00), her husband, Kye Evans, DO (COM ’00), and his son, Michael Frayser, DO (COM ’03), all graduated from KCU. Dr. Frayser earned his degree in osteopathic medicine in 1987. After completing his internship, he opened a private practice in Hoisington, Kan. Dr. Frayser, Dr. Karen Evans and Dr. Kye Evans are living and practicing in Lawrence, Kan., and Dr. Michael Frayser is a military physician. Dr. and Mrs. Frayser and their children have participated in numerous DOCARE International missions to Central America.
Alan Glaros, PhD, associate dean for basic medical sciences at KCU, and Eileen Spony established this scholarship in memory of their son, Alex, who was 17 when he passed away in 2009 after a long battle with cancer. Alex Glaros loved to travel, and his journeys included Kenya, Hawaii, Colorado, Australia, Italy and France. He learned to scuba dive in Kenya; surfed, snorkeled and scuba dived in Hawaii, and walked lava fields there; rode rapids in Colorado; held koala bears in Australia, and scuba dived and snorkeled on the Great Barrier Reef.
Mr. and Mrs. William O. Green
Vincent F. D’Angelo, DO (COM ’57), honored the parents of his late wife, Cleo, with the establishment of this scholarship in their names. William and Hazel Green were lifelong residents of Diller, Neb. William was a custodian at Diller Public Schools and both he and Hazel were devoted to the community. Hazel died in 1967, and William died in 1975. The scholarship will honor Mr. and Mrs. Green, as well as Cleo, by benefiting students from the state of Nebraska. Dr. D’Angelo passed away in 2005.
Marc B. Hahn, DO, FAOCA
Physicians Hall of Sponsors Scholarship established by Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM “65) and Suzanne Strickland.
Larry R. Handlin, DO, is board-certified in internal medicine, cardiovascular diseases and interventional cardiology. He currently works as a cardiologist at Mexico Cardiovascular Associates in Mexico, Mo. He serves as head of the Cardiopulmonary Division at Audrain Medical Center, is on staff at the University of Missouri-Columbia Hospital and is director of cardiac electrophysiology at Capital Regional Medical Center in Jefferson City, Mo.
Gene and Mary Haug
Darin L. Haug, DO (COM ’01), his wife, Sarah, and their children, Olivia, Grace Anne, Jonathan and Benjamin, dedicated this scholarship in honor and memory of Dr. Haug’s parents, Gene and Mary Haug. Gene and Mary Haug raised their family of four by example and on the values of hard work, caring for others and service. Gene often worked two or three jobs to support the family so Mary could stay home. Gene passed away in 1995, and Mary passed away in 2012. Dr. Haug currently serves as chief medical officer at Fitzgibbon Hospital in Marshall, Mo. He served as KCU’s executive vice president for academic and medical affairs, and dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine, from 2008 until 2012.
Vernon J. Hayes, DO (COM ’70)
Vernon J. Hayes, DO, received his doctor of osteopathic medicine degree in 1970. Following graduation, Dr. Hayes served eight years in the U.S. Air Force, achieving the rank of lieutenant colonel, and as chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as a member of the teaching staff for family practice. He now operates a private gynecology practice, Female Health Associates, in Fort Worth, Texas, and is very active in the community. Dr. Hayes has served as a clinical associate professor of obstetrics/gynecology in the College of Osteopathic Medicine at the University of North Texas Health Sciences Center and is a fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. He established this scholarship to give aspiring physicians an opportunity to enjoy practicing medicine as he does.
Joel D. Holliday, DO (COM ’66)
Joel D. Holliday, DO, established this scholarship in memory of his father, J.C. Holliday. Dr. Holliday lives in Richardson, Texas. He has two children, Jolie Erin and James Scott Holliday, DO (COM ’00). Dr. Holliday has built a thriving family practice. “I wanted to do something that would help KCU and its students,” he said. “I owe the school a great deal and this is one way I can show my appreciation.” Dr. Holliday received KCU’s Alumni Service Award in 2008.
Dorsey Hoskins, DO (COM ’31), and Hazel Hoskins, DO (COM ’31)
Paul W. Dybedal, DO (COM ’54), and his wife, Mary Lou, established this scholarship in memory of Hazel Hoskins, DO (COM ’31), and Dorsey Hoskins, DO (COM ’31). Dorsey and Hazel Hoskins were integral parts of the University as students, alumni and faculty. Their involvement with KCU stretched from the late 1920s until their retirements in 1965. Dr. Dorsey Hoskins, who led the pathology department, was honored as the University’s Alumnus of the Year in 1971; Dr. Hazel Hoskins was honored as Alumnus of the Year in 1977.
John M. Howard, DO (COM ’40), and Joanne Skillman-Howard, DO (COM ’62)
John M. Howard, DO, and Joanne Skillman-Howard, DO, established this scholarship in 1997. Dr. Howard was a fellow of the American College of Osteopathic Pediatricians as well as a diplomat of the American College of Osteopathic Pediatricians. He served as head of the Department of Pediatrics at Lakeside Hospital and joined the KCU Pediatrics Department in 1941 as a full-time faculty member until retiring in 1985. Dr. Skillman-Howard served KCU as a pediatrics instructor from 1966-1969 and assistant instructor in pediatrics in 1970. She continued service at public health clinics and in 1978 assumed Dr. Howard’s duties at Lakeside Hospital, serving as head of the Department of Pediatrics until she retired. Dr. Howard passed away in 2004. Dr. Skillman-Howard still resides in the Kansas City area.
Glenn D. Jewett, DO, established a family practice in 1927 in St. John, Kan., where he practiced for 60 years. Dr. Jewett was active in local civic affairs and served on the school board and city council, in addition to a term as mayor. Dr. Jewett was a past president of the Kansas State Osteopathic Association, a life member of the Median Shriners, a member of the Masonic Blue Lodge and a 60-year member of the Lions Club. Dr. Jewett established this scholarship to benefit future osteopathic physicians and to encourage rural family practice. He died in 2000.
Gary Michael Johnston, DO (COM ‘73)
Physicians Hall of Sponsors Scholarship established by Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM “65) and Suzanne Strickland.
The August Andrew Kaiser, DO and Kaiser Hall Scholarship is established by Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65) and Suzanne Strickland that honors the first secretary to the Kansas City College of Osteopathy and Surgery Board of Trustees. It is interesting to note that Dr. Kaiser wrote all minutes of meetings by hand from 1916 to 1940. He played a major role in the success of this University and the reputation of our graduates through his steady devotion to the osteopathic cause, the use of his private fortune, and the close relationships he developed with students. Dr. Strickland’s Class of 1965 attended all their lectures and meetings in Kaiser Hall, which also served as the location of the mock Missouri medical license board exams. The very first person to graduate from KCCOS, in 1917, was Dr. Mamie Johnson. Dr. Johnson was a part-time instructor, well-remembered by the Class of 1965, and she served as the attending physician for Dr. Kaiser in January and February, 1949.
Mavern Devine Kinzie
Mavern Devine Kinzie was the beloved wife of Earl C. Kinzie, DO (COM ’35), for 27 years until she died in 1998. Mavern was the school counselor in Lindale, Texas, where Dr. Kinzie established his practice in 1941. Dr. Kinzie graduated from KCU in 1935 and practiced in Ness City, Kan., in the “dustbowl” until 1941 when he moved his practice to Lindale. Dr. Kinzie was active on his church board and on the boards of two banks. Dr. Kinzie was inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame at McPherson College in 1999. He received an honorary degree from Baylor University in 1999 and the KCU Alumni Service Award in 2004. He died in 2005.
Cameron D. Knackstedt, DO, FACOFP Family Scholarship
Physicians’ Hall of Sponsors Scholarship established by Cameron D. Knackstedt, DO (COM ‘75). Teaching future osteopathic physicians has been a passion of Cameron D. Knackstedt’s, DO, FACOFP (COM ’75) throughout the more than 40 years he has dedicated to rural family medicine. His desire to help students learn motivated him to establish the Cameron D. Knackstedt, DO, FACOFP Family Scholarship. His family includes his late wife, Barbara Ann Knackstedt, and his two sons, Jason Knackstedt, and Nathaniel Knackstedt, DO (COM ’01).
Kenneth J. Kobes, DO (COM ’54)
Kenneth J. Kobes, DO (COM ’54), was born in 1928 in Toadlena, N.M., where his parents served as missionaries to the Navajo Indians. After attending Calvin College for three years, he transferred to KCU in 1951 and graduated in 1954. Dr. Kobes was in private practice for nine years in Grand Rapids, Mich. In 1965, he moved to Battle Creek, Mich., and began practicing at the VA Medical Center. Following completion of a residency in psychiatry at the Menninger Clinic in 1972, Dr. Kobes returned to the VA facility in Battle Creek to serve as the first osteopathic chief of staff, a position he held until his retirement in 1988. He also served as a full-time consultant for the Disability Determination Service until 1999 and still works part time today.
Allen F. Kossoy, DO (COM ’81), and Elizabeth Kossoy
Allen Kossoy, DO (COM ’81), and Elizabeth Kossoy established this scholarship to benefit KCU’s future osteopathic medical students. One of Dr. Kossoy’s mentors, the late James DiRenna, Sr., DO (COM ’38), encouraged Dr. Kossoy to help future osteopathic physicians achieve their goals, and this scholarship helps fulfill that promise. Dr. Kossoy earned a bachelor’s degree at Knox College in Galesburg, Ill. After graduating from KCU, he completed a residency in pediatrics at William Beaumont Army Medical Center in El Paso, Texas, and a fellowship in allergy and immunology at Fitzsimmons Army Medical Center in Aurora, Colo. After leaving the military in 1990, Dr. Kossoy and his family settled in Topeka, Kan., where he practices with the Cotton O’Neil Clinic.
Bernettie V. Krieger
Bernettie Krieger, known affectionately throughout the KCU community as “Bernie,” was an integral part of the University, its students and alumni for more than 60 years. She began her career at the University working for Harold McAnally, DO, in the surgical department and later began working for the late Mary L. Butterworth, DO (COM ’54), in 1972. In spring 2008, still working at 90 years old, KCU dedicated a plaque honoring her commitment beneath the cottonwood tree in the campus quadrangle, her favorite place on campus. Krieger retired in 2009 and passed away in 2011.
Michael A. Longo, DO (COM ’46), established this scholarship in memory of his parents, John and Carmello Longo, originally from Italy, and in memory of his wife, Rosemarie B. Longo. Dr. Longo practiced general surgery in Bangor, Maine, and Palm Beach, Fla., until his retirement in 1988. He was a past president of the Maine Osteopathic Association and the American College of Osteopathic Surgeons, and was instrumental in the development of several osteopathic hospitals. Dr. Longo passed away on July 20, 2008.
Darin L. Haug, DO (COM ’01), and Sarah Haug established this scholarship in honor of Edythe Lindsey. Dr. Haug first came to know her while he was a student studying late at night in Smith Hall and later renewed their connection when he returned to KCU as dean. Lindsey’s genuine warmth and happiness made a lasting impression on Dr. Haug. During her 50 years of service to KCU, Lindsey has provided faculty, staff and students with a humble example of the values the University holds so dearly.
Vincent F. D’Angelo, DO (COM ’57), established this scholarship in honor of Larry Marske, JD A graduate of the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Marske was a trusted friend of Dr. D’Angelo and a strong supporter of osteopathic physicians. He has lectured for nearly two decades at continuing medical education seminars on a variety of subjects, including medical malpractice, professional liability insurance and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. He volunteers to speak to medical students, interns and residents regarding good practice habits and common-sense guidelines for the prescription of controlled substances in the office setting. Dr. D’Angelo passed away in 2005.
Charles C. Matheny, DO (COM ’34)
Charles C. Matheny, DO, came to KCU from his hometown of Carthage, Mo., in 1929. After graduation, he practiced in Anthony, Kan., before moving to Detroit to practice at Palmer Park Osteopathic Hospital. While there, he practiced numerous years with fellow KCU alumnus Robert Crouch, DO (COM ’35). During his 45 years of practice, Dr. Matheny practiced family medicine as well as preventive medicine in Arizona before retiring in Texas. He was a talented artist who had a studio in his home and also loved to ranch. Dr. Matheny passed away in 2003.
Ralph M. Maxwell, DO (COM ’82)
Ralph M. Maxwell, DO, credits KCU with laying the foundation for his success. Dr. Maxwell did a rotating internship in Detroit for a year before returning to Arkansas, where he set up his practice. Dr. and Mrs. Maxwell have been lifelong Arkansas residents with deep family ties to the state.
The former Medical Pavilion in Kansas City, Mo., established this scholarship and dedicated it to the future physicians who will receive benefit from the scholarship.
Jerome F. Mersberger, DO (COM ’80)
Jerome F. Mersberger, DO, owns and operates four family practice-urgent care clinics in Atlanta. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Georgia chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians. Dr. Mersberger established this scholarship as evidence of his belief in the principles of osteopathic medicine and his heartfelt commitment to KCU.
Albert R. Miller, DO (COM ’60)
Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and Suzanne Strickland established this scholarship in memory of Albert R. Miller, DO, who passed away in 1990. Dr. Miller worked in private practice in Overland Park, Kan., before retiring in 1986. He served as team physician for the Kansas City Chiefs from 1963 to 1982. During that time, Dr. Miller helped a number of students at KCU who were interested in sports medicine by allowing them to assist him in his work with the Chiefs, including opening doors for Dr. Strickland’s involvement as a podiatrist with the Chiefs while he attended KCU.
Lawrence W. Mills, PhD
Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and Suzanne Strickland established this scholarship in memory of Lawrence W. Mills, PhD, former director of education for the American Osteopathic Association. “Mr. Mills advised me to always give back the same opportunity that was given to me,” Dr. Strickland said. “He was one of the finest gentlemen I have known."
Kenneth E. Mitchem, DO (COM ’55)
Kenneth E. Mitchem, DO, established his general practice in Mokane, Mo. He moved his practice the following year to Camdenton, Mo. While there, he became the owner and operator of a two-bed emergency hospital, clinic and birthing center. In 1965, he started training in general surgery at Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara, Calif., and completed his surgical training at Queen of Angels Hospital in Los Angeles. Dr. Mitchem is now retired from general surgery and general practice in Turlock, Calif.
Callis G. Morrill, PhD
Dr. and Mrs. Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ‘65), established this scholarship in honor of Callis G. Morrill, PhD, who has served as program coordinator in the Physiology Department at KCU since November 1986. After graduating from Brigham Young University in 1965 with a degree in zoology, he received a PhD in physiology from the University of California in 1970. Dr. Morrill furthered his education as a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Colorado Medical Center’s Cardiovascular Pulmonary Research Laboratory and later as a research fellow in the National Asthma Center’s Department of Clinical Physiology. Dr. Morrill served for several years on both the Animal Care and Use Committee and the Promotion and Graduation Committee at KCU. Dr. Strickland currently serves on the KCU Board of Trustees, is a past president of the KCU Alumni Association and was the 2003 recipient of the Alumnus of the Year Award. The Strickland Education Pavilion on the KCU campus is named in honor of Dr. and Mrs. Strickland.
Deborah Newell-Duffield established this scholarship in honor of her father, John R. Newell, DO Dr. Newell returned to his native Pennsylvania to practice after graduating from KCU in 1943. He originally settled in Honeybrook, an Amish area, where he often received pies and other food in lieu of office fees. He then moved to Bethlehem, Penn., where he and his wife, Frances, lived in an apartment above his office for a dozen years. Duffield and her sister, Kathy Thomas, were born in Bethlehem, where Dr. Newell practiced the rest of his career. Dr. Newell died in 1984.
Howard W. Osborn, DO (COM ’65), and his wife, Barbara, established this scholarship in honor of Dr. Osborn’s parents, Tommy O. Osborn, DO (COM ’43), and Ellen Osborn, who always provided support and inspiration as Howard fulfilled his goal of becoming a physician. Tommy and Ellen Osborn were married in 1943, and Dr. Tommy Osborn practiced medicine in Colony, Kan., and Cameron, Mo., from 1943 until his death in 1987. Dr. Osborn served as president of the Kansas Association of Osteopathic Medicine in 1950 and was instrumental in getting the full-practice act passed in Kansas in 1959.
Paul W. Dybedal, DO (COM ’54), and his wife, Mary Lou, established this scholarship in honor of Joseph M. Peach, DSc. Dr. Dybedal credits the personal relationship he developed with Peach, then the University’s dean, as the primary reason he chose to attend KCU. Dr. Peach was hired by the University in 1926 to teach chemistry and stayed more than 35 years until his retirement. In September 1950, he was named the second president of the University and served in that role until 1963. The University named its student dormitory Peach Hall in honor of Dr. Peach in 1966. Dr. Dybedal was honored as the KCU Alumnus of the Year during the 2004 Homecoming festivities. The research center on the KCU campus is named for Dr. and Mrs. Dybedal.
Bruce B. Peters, DO, Diversity Scholarship
Bruce B. Peters, DO, former pediatrics faculty member, established this scholarship recognizing diversity. Dr. Peters is a 1984 graduate of the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine/Midwestern University. Certified in pediatrics and chemical dependency, Dr. Peters has pursued his interests in adolescent and community medicine, child abuse and school-based health.
George A. Peters, DO (COM ’64)
George A. Peters, DO, pursued his osteopathic medical degree following a career in the military, which included service during World War II and the Korean Conflict. After receiving his osteopathic medical degree, Dr. Peters settled in St. Clair, Mo., where he operated a family practice for 21 years. The Peters scholarship was established by Dr. Peters’ niece, Kathleen Stein, DO (COM ’77), and his brother, Henry A. Peters, DO (COM ’56), in memory of Dr. Peters and in recognition of his service to his country and the practice of osteopathic medicine.
Michael Kristopher Kolby Porter
Michael Baker, DO (COM ’96), director of emergency medicine at Sharkey-Issaquena Community Hospital in Rolling Fork, Miss., established this scholarship in memory of his beloved nephew, Michael Kristopher Kolby Porter. Kolby was the son of Dr. Baker’s sister, Terri Strange, and Rodney “Chip” Porter. Kolby passed away Feb. 24, 2011, at the age of 19. Kolby left behind a life full of love and compassion for his family and friends in his lifelong home of Vicksburg, Miss. He was an accomplished athlete, especially in soccer, and also enjoyed baseball and basketball. He lived life with no regrets and always wanted to help people along the way. This scholarship will continue Kolby’s desire to help people and to pass on his love, his vigor for life and his enduring compassion, especially to young people in the field of medicine.
Thomas B. Powell, DO (COM ’22), and Ruth Converse Powell
Thomas Powell, DO, and Ruth Converse Powell dedicated their lives to the betterment of the people of rural Kansas. Marvin Converse of DeLand, Fla., stepson of Dr. Powell, established this scholarship in honor of Dr. Powell’s significant contributions to the osteopathic profession. As a physician, lawmaker, educator and civic leader, Dr. Powell and his wife, Ruth, made life better for all those with whom they came in contact. Dr. Powell practiced for more than 55 years in Larned, Kan. In 1931, Dr. Powell was elected president of the Kansas Osteopathic Association. He also served as president of the Kansas State Board of Osteopathic Examination and Registration. The American Osteopathic Board of Proctology certified Dr. Powell as a specialist in 1950, and a year later, he was granted a fellowship in the American Osteopathic College of Proctology.
Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and Suzanne Strickland established this scholarship in honor of Herbert D. Ramsay, DO, a lifelong friend of KCU as a professor of pharmacology and assistant dean of academic affairs. In 1970, Dr. Ramsay retired from the University to practice general medicine in Kansas City until 1976. “Dr. Ramsay arranged for me to be actively engaged in pharmacological research. This additional income helped my family tremendously,” Dr. Strickland noted.
Robert G. Ricci, DO (COM ’68), and Delores Ricci
Robert G. Ricci, DO, served as a member of the KCU Board of Trustees from 1997 to 2003 and touched countless lives through his professional, community and personal activities. He mentored hundreds of KCU students as director of medical education at the Medical Center of Independence and prior to that at Park Lane Medical Center. Ricci Auditorium in the Strickland Educational Pavilion is named in his honor. Along with former Kansas City Chief Deron Cherry, he founded the University’s Score 1 for Health program. He received the University’s Alumni Achievement Award in 1995 and was named the Alumnus of the Year in 1998. In honor of his many contributions to the osteopathic medical profession and his community, Dr. Ricci was posthumously presented an honorary doctorate of humane letters at the University’s commencement in 2003.
Douglas R. Rushing, PhD
Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and Suzanne Strickland established this scholarship in honor of Douglas R. Rushing, PhD, dean of the College of Biosciences and professor of biochemistry. The Stricklands chose to honor Dr. Rushing in appreciation of his years of dedicated service to the University and to its students. Dr. Rushing earned his doctorate in biochemistry from the University of Missouri-Columbia in 1967, and he has been a member of KCU’s faculty since 1972. He was recognized by the KCU Alumni Association with its Distinguished Service Award in 2002, and by the Missouri Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons with its Medallion Award in 1998. In addition, he has been a community advocate, serving the boards of both the Unicorn Theatre and of Northeast Neighbor to Neighbor.
H.J. Scarinzi, DO (COM ’59), established this scholarship in memory of Marie and Ed Sandfort in appreciation of the care and friendship extended to him during his years in medical school. The Sandforts and their daughter, Bette, befriended Dr. Scarinzi when he was a medical student in Kansas City in 1957. They virtually adopted Dr. Scarinzi and his classmate, Dan Scarnecchia. Dr. Scarinzi retired from general practice in eastern Colorado in 1996. He currently teaches anatomy, physiology and medical terminology at Morgan Community College in Limon, Colo. Marie passed away in 1998, but Ed continued to provide a home away from home when Dr. Scarinzi visited Kansas City until his death in 2005.
H. J. Scarinzi, DO Scholarship
Physicians’ Hall of Sponsors Scholarship Dedicated in Loving Memory by Maria, Meggan and Jonathan.
Dr. H.J. Scarinzi, or “Doc” as he was known, was a first generation Italian born in 1932. He struggled with English as a child in primary school but with hard work and dedication he soon became an award winning orator. He obtained a pharmacology degree at Duchesne University, and was pleased to be accepted into the Kansas City College of Osteopathy and Surgery.
June Marie Scarinzi
H.J. Scarinzi, DO (COM ’59), established this scholarship in memory of his wife, June Marie Scarinzi. They were married shortly after Dr. Scarinzi received his doctor of osteopathic medicine degree from KCU in 1959. After an internship in Denver, Colo., they moved to Hugo, Colo., where she was a great help in the rural practice of medicine. June was a registered nurse, a teacher, a public health nurse and a wonderful wife, loving mother and caring friend.
Louigi and Maria Scarinzi
H.J. Scarinzi, DO (COM ’59), established this scholarship in memory of his parents, Louigi and Maria Scarinzi. Louigi and Maria Scarinzi were married in 1920. Louigi Scarinzi immigrated from Italy to the United States in 1926 to escape a Fascist government, leaving behind his wife and 4-year-old son. Louigi was able to bring his family to join him in the U.S. in 1929, and Dr. Scarinzi was born in 1932. Dr. Scarinzi retired from general practice in eastern Colorado in 1996. He currently teaches anatomy, physiology and medical terminology at Morgan Community College in Limon, Colo., and is at home both in Hugo and Colorado Springs, Colo. Dr. Scarinzi was named KCU Alumnus of the Year in 2008.
Dan A. Scarnecchia, DO (COM ’59)
H.J. Scarinzi, DO (COM ’59), established this scholarship in memory of his classmate, Dan A. Scarnecchia, DO The two were seated alphabetically during their first year in 1955 and quickly became friends. After Dr. Scarinzi and Dr. Scarnecchia received their osteopathic medical degrees, Dr. Scarnecchia returned home to Youngstown, Ohio, to establish a family practice in the area. Dr. Scarnecchia passed away in the late 1980s.
John W. Schenz, DO (COM ’55)
John W. Schenz, DO, established a practice in Columbus, Ohio, after graduating from the University. A life member of the American Osteopathic Association and the Ohio Osteopathic Association, Dr. Schenz was a former president of the OOA’s Sixth District Society and the KCU Alumni Association. He also served 26 years on KCU’s Board of Trustees. Dr. Schenz worked tirelessly for the benefit of his alma mater in Kansas City until his death in 1998. This scholarship is established in honor of his love for KCU and osteopathic medicine.
Mary K. Schoonover
H.J. Scarinzi, DO (COM ’59), established this scholarship in honor of Mary K. Schoonover. Born in 1916 as Mary Kendell, she attended a one-room schoolhouse as a child in Kansas. Mary later was a teacher in Kansas and southeastern Colorado, until she met Albert Schoonover and was married in 1940. Albert had three sons, and he and Mary raised them. In 1946, the family moved to eastern Colorado, near Hugo, and ran a farm, where they raised wheat, hogs and cattle. After Albert died in 1963, Mary took a nursing course and became Dr. Scarinzi’s nurse assistant, and later, his office manager. Mary was dedicated to osteopathic physicians and was not only a devoted employee, but also a dear friend to Dr. Scarinzi and his family. She attended KCU’s White Coating Ceremony in 2004 to watch Dr. Scarinzi’s daughter, Meggan Grant, DO (COM ’08), and her great granddaughter, Sarah Little, DO (COM ’08), begin medical school. Mary died in 2009.
Clyde M. Smith, DO (COM ’42)
Initially enlisting in the Marine Corps during World War II, Clyde M. Smith, DO, was told that he could best serve the nation by establishing a small-town family practice in Missouri to help fill the critical shortage of physicians. He began a practice in Liberty, where he served families for more than 30 years. He also served as team physician to athletes at William Jewell College and Liberty High School. After retiring from private practice in 1974, Dr. Smith served as KCU’s director of emergency medicine at University Hospital. He also served as treasurer for the Missouri Chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians and director of the KCU clinics. Dr. Smith passed away in 2001.
Leonard Smith, DO (COM ’54), and Francine Smith
After graduating from KCU in 1954, Leonard Smith, DO, settled in Bucks County, near Philadelphia, and built a thriving practice in family medicine and surgery. He served as president of the KCU Alumni Association and was the 2000 recipient of the University’s Alumnus of the Year Award. Dr. Smith served as an honorary chair of Campaign 2000 and the academic resource center on the University’s campus was named Leonard Smith Hall in his honor.
Robert E. Stephens, PhD
Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and Suzanne Strickland established this scholarship in honor of Robert E. Stephens, PhD, associate dean for the College of Biosciences, and professor and chair of anatomy. Dr. Stephens has made a positive impact on thousands of students during his more than 30 years at KCU, including the Stricklands’ daughter, Janis Strickland Coffin, DO (COM ’98). He inspires his students and is a consummate professional and mentor, consistently providing excellent knowledge to his students. Dr. Stephens is not only a tremendous leader, but also a caring and compassionate individual.
Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and Suzanne Strickland
The Class of 1965 has established this scholarship to honor Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and his commitment to the profession and to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences. A member of KCU’s Board of Trustees since 1999, Dr. Strickland is a true advocate for KCU. Dr. Strickland his wife, Suzanne, have single-handedly funded 16 Physicians’ Hall of Sponsors scholarships, which provide financial support to current and future osteopathic medical students. Since 1967, Dr. Strickland has practiced medicine at the same location in Denver, Colo. He is board certified in family practice and geriatrics. In 2003, KCU’s main educational building was renamed the Darwin J. and Suzanne Strickland Education Pavilion in their honor.
Strickland Family Military
The Strickland Family Military scholarship was the second scholarship established by Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and Suzanne Strickland. “This is dedicated to the military segment of our society and their instilled values,” Dr. Strickland said. Dr. Strickland has been in the Army Reserves for more than 18 years. The scholarship is in honor of several members of the Strickland family, including Lt. Col. Laura Jane Richardson; Maj. Janis Strickland Coffin, DO (COM ’98); Capt. Darwin Thomas Strickland; Elaine Suzanne Strickland; Capt. David Coffin, M.D.; Col. James Mayberry Richardson, Jr.; retired Brig. Gen. James Mayberry Richardson; and the late Col. Thomas Augustine Allen.
Lila Chasko Strinic
The Lila Chasko Strinic Memorial Scholarship is established by Dr. H.J. Scarinzi, Class of 1959. Dr. Scarinzi establishes this in memory of his dear friend of many years. Dr. Scarinzi and Lila met in 1953 as students at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and they dated until their career paths took them separate ways. Dr. Scarinzi entered medical school at Kansas City College of Osteopathy and Surgery; and Lila became a teacher.
Terry L. Summerhouse, DO (COM ’74)
Terry L. Summerhouse, DO, established the Summerhouse Family Scholarship to ensure that others have the same opportunity to practice medicine as he did. Dr. Summerhouse established a family practice in Wichita, Kan., in 1975. He is past president of the Kansas Association of Osteopathic Medicine and the Sedgewick County Osteopathic Association.
Joseph R. Takats, III, DO, is certified in emergency medicine and has served on the faculty for Advanced EMS at several area community colleges near his home in Buffalo, N.Y. Dr. Takats is president of the Emergency Physicians Group for five hospitals in western New York and is actively involved in numerous state and national associations. He founded the Town of Tonawanda paramedics and was among the founders of the Grand Island Paramedics.
Albert A. Talone, DO (COM ’75)
Albert A. Talone, DO, is general practice program director at John F. Kennedy University Hospital in Cherry Hill, N.J., where he also serves as medical director of the detoxification unit. He is an associate professor and member of the Board of Trustees at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. Dr. Talone is also a medical examiner for the state of New Jersey. He has served as chair of the KCU Foundation and as president of the Alumni Association.
William A. Thomas, DO (COM ’49)
William A. Thomas, DO, was a native of Turja Remeti, Czecholslovakia. After earning a bachelor of arts degree in 1936 from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, he continued his education at KCU, graduating in 1949. Dr. Thomas settled in Houston, where he practiced internal medicine until 1993. A U.S. Army veteran, Dr. Thomas was a life member of the American Osteopathic Association, the American College of Osteopathic Internists and the Texas Osteopathic Medical Association. The Houston Osteopathic Hospital Foundation established this scholarship in memory of Dr. Thomas, a longtime board member of the Houston Osteopathic Hospital. The scholarship is awarded to a KCU student from the state of Texas.
G.W. Tompson, DO (COM ’45), Victor Zima, DO (COM ’44), and Loren Rohr, DO (COM ’45), founded Community Hospital in Jacinto City, Texas, in 1951. It later became the basis for Community Hospital Foundation, Inc., which established this scholarship in their honor.
The late Dr. Tompson graduated from KCU in 1945 at age 38. He was a long-time member of the Texas Osteopathic Medical Association, serving as president in 1961. He practiced as an anesthesiologist for many years and trained many interns and residents. He served as chief of anesthesiology at Community Hospital until his death in 1974.
Dr. Rohr graduated from KCU in 1945. He was president of TOMA from 1963-64, vice president of the American Osteopathic Association from 1960-61 and was honored as General Practitioner of the Year in 1962. He served on the Board of Trustees of Anderson University from 1978 until 1983.
Dr. Zima graduated from KCU in 1944. He practiced general surgery and family medicine in Houston from 1949 until retiring from practice in 1992. He went on to work for the University of Texas Medical School at Galveston as a unit physician for the Department of Criminal Justice until April 1999. He passed away in September 2000.
Kevin D. Treffer, DO (COM ‘87)
Physicians Hall of Sponsors Scholarship established by Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM “65) and Suzanne Strickland.
Merle C. Turner, DO
Merle C. Turner, DO (COM ’75), established this scholarship to benefit future KCU osteopathic medical students and out of gratitude for those who supported him during his time in medical school. Dr. Turner currently serves as medical director at Warner Family Practice in Chandler, Ariz., where he has practiced for nearly 30 years. He is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Osteopathic Association and the Arizona Osteopathic Association.
Susan K. Turner
Physicians’ Hall of Sponsors Scholarship established by Merle C. Turner, DO (COM ‘75) in honor of her support of me through medical school – without her support I would not have been able to finish. It is also to honor her for helping me build a successful private practice in Chandler, Arizona where she served as my business partner and administrator of the practice.
Brad D. Vince, DO, and his wife, Patricia, established this scholarship for medical students interested in research. Dr. Vince completed his residency in psychiatry at the University of Kansas Medical Center. During his residency, he founded Vince and Associates Clinical Research, a clinical trials research organization located in Overland Park, Kan., where he remains actively involved.
Rudi O. Wadle, DO (COM ’59), and his brother, Ronald W. Wadle, DO (COM ’64), established this scholarship in memory of their parents, Otto and Elizabeth Wadle. Originally from Pfalz, Germany, Otto and Elizabeth met in Europe. Otto moved to the United States in the early 1920s, and Elizabeth followed a few years later. The pair later married. Otto worked in construction as a home builder and served on the boards of Union Osteopathic Memorial Hospital and the Union Center National Bank, both in Union, N.J. Elizabeth was active as a volunteer and president of the auxiliary at Union Osteopathic Memorial Hospital. Otto passed away in 1977, and Elizabeth passed away in 2003.
Marshall D. Walker, DO (COM ‘73)
Physicians Hall of Sponsors Scholarship established by Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM “65) and Suzanne Strickland,
Harry J. Walter, DO (COM ’65)
Darwin J. Strickland, DO (COM ’65), and his wife, Suzanne, established this scholarship in honor of Harry J. Walter, DO (COM ’65). With his commissioning into the U.S. Air Force in 1966, Dr. Walter became the first osteopathic physician commissioned into the military, officially opening the door for thousands of future DOs to proudly serve their country. Following his discharge from the Air Force, Dr. Walter helped a group of osteopathic physicians re-establish licensing for DOs in California. Dr. Walter has been in private family practice for more than 40 years in Thornton, Colo., where he takes particular interest in diabetes management and education.
John A. Ward, DO (COM ’65), and Jeanette Ward Class of 1965
John A. Ward, DO, and his wife, Jeanette, established this scholarship honoring the Class of 1965. In 1990, Dr. Ward was elected a fellow in the American Academy of Family Practice. He retired in 2002 after 36 years in family practice. Dr. Ward’s career highlights include more than 20 years as the team doctor for local high school football teams in Houston. He was recognized with the University’s Alumnus of the Year Award in 1989 and the Alumni Service Award in 2007.
President H. Danny Weaver, DO (COM ’84)
Debra S. Albers, DO (COM ’86), and Michael C. Cronen, DO (COM ’84), established this scholarship in honor of H. Danny Weaver, DO (COM ’84), upon Dr. Weaver being named as KCU’s 12th president and chief executive officer. Dr. Albers, who is Dr. Weaver’s wife, and Dr. Cronen, one of his closest friends, intend for the scholarship to serve as a meaningful gift in honor of Dr. Weaver that will help the University and its students in perpetuity.
Jack T. Weaver, DO (COM ’63)
Jack T. Weaver, DO (COM ’63) embodied KCU’s core values. He was a quiet and courageous leader, who served in every capacity at KCU. Dr. Weaver was certified in family medicine and served as chief of staff at Orlando General Hospital. He was president of the Alumni Association in 1988, served as the University’s interim president and chief executive officer in 1995 and was chair of the KCU Board of Trustees from 1994 until his death Aug. 21, 2004. His son, H. Danny Weaver, DO (COM ’84), current KCU president and chief executive officer, and daughter-in-law, Debra S. Albers, DO (COM ’86), established this scholarship honoring Jack T. Weaver’s leadership and vision.
Vernon A. Webb, DO (COM ’70)
Harvey A. Drapkin, DO (COM ’70) and Mrs. Barbara A. Drapkin established this scholarship in memory of Vernon A. Webb (COM ’70). Dr. Webb took an untraditional path to medical school, and was greatly admired by Dr. Drapkin for his deliberate and diligent approach to school. Dr. Webb fulfilled his childhood dream of becoming a doctor at KCU and was one of the founders of Parkside Hospital. He relocated to Detroit in 1990 to practice at Detroit Osteopathic Hospital, Renaissance General Hospital and Greater Detroit General Hospital, where he worked tirelessly on behalf of his many patients. Dr. Webb was known to have a special place in his heart for those who were less fortunate. Until his death, Dr. Webb served as Medical Director for the Federal Mogul Corporation located in Southfield, Michigan. He also served as chairman of the board of Gibson School for the Gifted.
Joseph M. Yasso, Jr., DO (COM ’77), and his wife, Christine, established this scholarship in memory of Dr. Yasso’s parents, Joseph M. Yasso, Sr., DO (COM ‘46), and Dorothy L. Yasso. Dr. Yasso, Sr., practiced as an anesthesiologist in the Kansas City area until 1999. He was a past president of the KCU Alumni Association and an avid supporter of KCU.
The Elias E. Zirul, DO (COM ’50), Memorial Scholarship has been established by the Zirul family in memory of their father, Elias E. Zirul, DO (COM ’50). Dr. Elias Zirul received his doctor of osteopathic medicine degree in 1950, completed his internship in internal medicine, was a clinical faculty member and associate professor at KCU for more than 20 years, and practiced in the state of Missouri until his retirement at the age of 79 in 1995. Dr. Zirul passed away at the age of 84 in 2000, and is survived by his wife, Mary. Dr. Zirul had three children, Jody Zirul Roberts, Evany D. Zirul, DO (COM ’79), of Fresno, Calif., and James V. Zirul, DO (COM ’83), of Kenai, Alaska. Dr. James V. Zirul and his wife, Diana, established the scholarship to add to memorial funds contributed in memory of Dr. Zirul, a long-time friend and supporter of KCU.