Clerkships in the Denver Region offer a wide variety of training opportunities. Each clinical experience is completed with an assigned physician or group of physicians. Students follow these physicians to their affiliated clinics and medical facilities located throughout the metropolitan area.
Hospital statistics are provided below for the primary hospitals in which students may have exposure during years 3 and 4.
|Hospital Name||Total Beds||Admissions||ER Visits||Outpatient Visits||Births||Inpatient Surgeries||Outpatient Surgeries||Trauma Center|
|303||14,953||Not provided||132,525||682||Not provided||Not provided||Yes|
- Family Medicine - Inpatient/Outpatient
- Internal Medicine - Inpatient/Outpatient
- Surgery - Inpatient/Outpatient
- Ob/Gyn - Inpatient/Outpatient
- Pediatrics - Inpatient/Outpatient
- Psychiatry - Inpatient/Outpatient
This site schedules clinical experiences in four-week increments.
- Breast Surgery
- Infectious Disease
- OMM/Sports Medicine
- Vascular Surgery
Clerkships may be scheduled in a variety of disciplines and sub-specialty areas as available. Application through VSAS required for fourth-year students using HCA facilities is required.
Resources & Benefits
- Students Resources: Students have access to the medical library, computers, internet, printers and phones while on duty at some hospitals and clinics.
- Meal Benefits: Some hospitals offer meal allowances while on duty.
Duties & Opportunities
- Student Duties: Students are required to participate in night call, weekend call and weekend rounds as assigned by the preceptor or service.
- Didactic Opportunities: Students are required to participate in lectures, patient rounds and required reading as assigned.
- OMT/OPP Opportunities: Opportunities for skill development in OMT/OPP is available during some clerkships. OMT/OPP clerkships are also available upon request.
Unique Site Characteristics
- Background check required for third year only
- Drug screen required annually
- TB screening is required annually
- BLS and ACLS certifications must be current
- Orientation is provided prior to the first clerkship
- Spanish speaking is helpful
Additions or changes to this site's information may occur at any time - information last updated 7/17/18