Mid-Missouri Area Health Education Center (AHEC)
The Missouri Area Health Education Center (MAHEC) network is a federal, state and local partnership that promotes health-care careers through recruitment, clinical training, education, community resources, and collaboration. The MAHEC mission and objectives align with federal AHEC requirements: to enhance access to quality health care, particularly primary and preventative care, by growing and supporting Missouri’s health care workforce.
These efforts are supported in part with funds from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS); the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Bureau of Health Professions (BHP); and local support mechanisms.
c/o Phelps County Regional Medical Center
1000 West Tenth Street
Rolla, MO 65401
This site is affiliated with A.T. Still University of Health Sciences, the University of Missouri Kansas City, the University of Missouri Columbia and KCU.
Fitzgibbon Hospital is a 60-bed, not-for-profit community hospital covering an eight-county area and offering some of the latest advances in medical technology delivered by an expert staff.
- Bed Capacity - 60
- Admissions - 2,388
- ER Visits - 12,045
- Births - 245
- Inpatient Surgeries - 293
- Outpatient Surgeries - 1,912
- DOs on Staff - 14
- MDs on Staff - 54
Bothwell Regional Health Center
Providing high-quality, cost-effective and compassionate health care has always been the priority at Bothwell Regional Health Center. Bothwell has served west-central Missouri since 1930. With a staff of more than 800 employees and 100 physicians, we provide a full range of diagnostic, medical and surgical services.
- Bed Capacity - 152
- Admissions - 5,889
- ER Visits - 23,715
- Births - 524
- Inpatient Surgeries - 1,161
- Outpatient Surgeries - 1,952
- DOs on Staff - 24
- MDs on Staff - 104
Phelps County Regional Medical Center
PCRMC has an illustrious 65 year history in Rolla and remains committed to it's mission of providing world-class healthcare to the communities it serves.
- Bed Capacity - 240
- Admissions - 9,438
- ER Visits - 30,259
- Births - 749
- In/Outpatient Surgeries - 3,393
- DOs on Staff - 33
- MDs on Staff - 702
- Family Medicine (1 block) Inpatient/Outpatient
- Internal Medicine (2 blocks) Inpatient/Outpatient
- Surgery (2 blocks) Inpatient/Outpatient
- Ob/Gyn (1 block) Inpatient/Outpatient
- Pediatrics (1 block) Inpatient/Outpatient
- Psychiatry (1 block) Inpatient/Outpatient
This site schedules clinical experiences in four-week increments.
Clerkships may be scheduled in the following areas:
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- as well as various sub-specialties
Resources & Benefits
- Facility Resources: Students will have access to the medical library, computers, internet, printers and phones while on duty at the hospital.
- Meal Benefits: Meals provided while on duty at the hospitals.
- Visiting Student Housing: Housing is available to visiting students at a reduced rate, on a first-come, first-served basis.
Duties & Opportunities
- Student Duties: Students are required to participate in night call, weekend call and weekend rounds as assigned by the preceptor or service.\
- Didactic Opportunities: Students are required to participate in lectures, patient rounds and reading as assigned by the site, preceptor or service. Students assigned to Marshall/Sedalia are required to participate in quarterly didactics in KC.
- OMT/OPP Opportunities: Opportunities for skill development in OMT/OPP is provided in the clinical setting during some clerkships. Student assigned to Marshall/Sedalia are required to participate in quarterly OSC in KC.