Southeast Missouri Area Health Education Center (AHEC)
The Missouri Area Health Centers (MAHEC) network is a federal, state and local partnership that promotes health-care careers through recruitment, clinical training, education, community resources, and collaboration. The MAHEC mission and objectives align with federal AHEC requirements: to enhance access to quality health care, particularly primary and preventative care, by growing and supporting Missouri’s health care workforce.
These efforts are supported in part with funds from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS); the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Bureau of Health Professions (BHP); and local support mechanisms.
The site is affiliated with Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, the University of Missouri Kansas City, Missouri University - Columbia, Saint Louis University and KCU's College of Osteopathic Medicine.
|Hospital Name||Total Beds||Admissions||ER Visits||Outpatient Visits||Births||Inpatient Surgeries||Outpatient Surgeries|
|Missouri Delta Medical Center||110||3,950||19,604||228,004||429||1,320||4,094|
|Ozarks Medical Center||103||5,595||25,890||581,369||637||1,110||2,169|
|Poplar Bluff Regional Medical Center||241||10,809||33,095||103,943||1,404||3,805||7,110|
|Twin Rivers Regional Medical Center||100||3,338||21,678||88,610||435||530||1,880|
- Family Medicine (1 block) Inpatient/Outpatient
- Internal Medicine (2 blocks) Inpatient/Outpatient
- Surgery (2 blocks) Inpatient/Outpatient
- Ob/Gyn (1 block) Inpatient/Outpatient
- Pediatrics (1 block) Inpatient/Outpatient
- Psychiatry (1 block) Inpatient/Outpatient
- Ob/Gyn and Psychiatry may be required off-site, but within the SEMO AHEC Region. Housing is generally provided for these blocks.
This site schedules clinical experiences in four-week increments.
Clerkships may be scheduled in the following areas:
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- as well as various sub-specialties
Resources & Benefits
- Facility Resources: Students will have access to the medical library, computers, internet, printers and phones while on duty at the hospital.
- Meal Benefits: Meals provided by hospitals while on duty.
- Visiting Student Housing: Housing is available to visiting students at a reduced rate.
Duties & Opportunities
- Student Duties: Students are required to participate in night call, weekend call and weekend rounds as assigned by the preceptor or service.
- Didactic Opportunities: Students are required to participate morning report, lectures, patient rounds and required reading as assigned by the site, preceptor or service.
- OMT/OPP Opportunities: Opportunities for skill development in OMT/OPP is provided in the clinical setting during family medicine clerkships.
- KCU Clinical Clerkship Coordinator: Angela Imes, email@example.com
- Site Contact: Cindy Robinett, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director of Medical Education (Kennett): Steve Pu, DO
- Director of Medical Education (Poplar Bluff): Michael Roach, DO
- Director of Medical Education (Sikeston): Jennifer Waller, MD
- Director of Medical Education (West Plains): Scott Roush, DO