Counseling & Wellness
KCU offers students 24/7 off-campus emergency psychiatric and counseling services along with on-campus, full-time psychologists.
Your emotional wellness and mental health is a priority for our faculty, administration and staff.
In the ongoing effort to meet your needs, we've created a multifaceted approach to mental health, wellness and academic support. We encourage you to take advantage of these services, secure in the knowledge that counseling referrals and sessions are confidential and are not recorded in your file.
Our counseling and wellness services include:
- Full-time psychologists available for individual, couples and group therapy on both campuses
- To request an appointment, please go to counseling.kcumb.edu and click the “Appointment Request” button.
- 24/7 off-campus emergency psychiatric and counseling services
- ERS, an external student assistance program that connects students and their families to free and confidential counseling services.
- Contact ERS directly at 1-800-292-2780 or https://students.mylifeexpert.com.
- Continuous monitoring of academic performance by a committee of psychologists, learning specialists, student services specialists, academic specialists and advisors. This committee tracks and trends student academic performance and provides counseling and tutoring interventions to help struggling students
- Faculty advisors
- A non-faculty contract psychiatrist
- Peer mentorship
- Panels for you and your significant other on how to transition and cope with medical school
- Wellness seminars offered throughout the semester, including classes in stress reduction, coping skills and test anxiety
- Intramural activities and a student gym
KCU Counseling Contacts
Students are welcome to contact counseling staff using the information below, but if the purpose of your message is to request an appointment, please go to counseling.kcumb.edu and click the “Appointment Request” button.
Kansas City Campus
Beth Epley, PsyD
Kristen Sager, MSW, PhD
Brandi Norman, PsyD
Caitlin Overfelt, Ed.S, LPC
Dr. Epley, Dr. Sager, Dr. Norman and Ms. Overfelt are bound by confidentiality and ethical standards set by their professional organization(s).