Counseling & Wellness
KCU offers students 24/7 off-campus emergency psychiatric and counseling services along with on-campus, full-time psychologists.
Your emotional wellness and mental health is a priority for our faculty, administration and staff.
In the ongoing effort to meet your needs, we've created a multifaceted approach to mental health, wellness and academic support. We encourage you to take advantage of these services, secure in the knowledge that counseling referrals and sessions are confidential and are not recorded in your file.
Our counseling and wellness services include:
- Full-time psychologists available for individual, couples and group therapy on both campuses
- 24/7 off-campus emergency psychiatric and counseling services
- The New Directions program, a free and confidential counseling service available to students and their families.
- Contact New Directions directly at 855-340-6487 or www.ndbh.com
- Continuous monitoring of academic performance by a committee of psychologists, learning specialists, student services specialists, academic specialists and advisors. This committee tracks and trends student academic performance and provides counseling and tutoring interventions to help struggling students
- Faculty advisors
- A non-faculty contract psychiatrist
- Peer mentorship
- Panels for you and your significant other on how to transition and cope with medical school
- Wellness seminars offered throughout the semester, including classes in stress reduction, coping skills and test anxiety
- Intramural activities and a student gym
KCU-Kansas City Contacts
James Dugan, PhD
Director of Counseling and Support Services
Smith Hall 320
Beth Epley, PsyD
Smith Hall 200
Dr. Dugan and Dr. Epley are licensed counselors who are bound by confidentiality standards set by their licensing organization(s).
Brandi Norman, PsyD
Student Services Wing, Room 1621
Caitlin Overfelt, Ed.S, LPC
Student Services Wing, Room 1616
Dr. Norman and Mrs. Overfelt are licensed counselors who are bound by confidentiality standards set by their licensing organization(s).